Friday, April 24, 2015

Ricotta and Tomato Pie

It seems to me that a lot of the things I cook need some sort of moisture squeezed out of them. It could just be that yesterday was tofu and today was tomatoes, but still. I know quite a few people who like myself have texture issues. I love tomatoes, but don't ask me to eat the gelatinous seed goop. In order to avoid it, I simply seed my tomatoes by gently poking them with my finger. The goop squirts out. It's oddly satisfying. 

We're growing tomatoes in the garden this year and I have plans for gazpacho. Homemade is so delicious. If you are ever blessed with a bounty of tomatoes and decide to make your own gazpacho, seed the tomatoes and save all of the goop and spare bits. This can all be thrown in the food processor, whirled up, and strained through cheesecloth to get the most delicious tomato juice for the gazpacho. There's your million dollar idea for the day. 


This is what I made for dinner this evening along with a super simple salad and beer bread with cheese in it. There were peas too, but as much as I tried to, I just could not psyc myself up enough to eat them. I hate peas. There is only one way I'll eat them- raw, and straight from the pod while standing in the garden. 

The tomato pie was delicious- and since I gently pressed the tomato slices it was not watery! Brilliant!

The pie, in all its glory. I was gifted a salt and herb grinder from Trader Joe's. Next time I make this I will grind a little more on the top. The Rosemary was a lovely accent. 



Salad- baby lettuce, chopped tomatoes, sunflower seeds, and slivered almonds.


Beer bread. I stuck some cheese sticks in the middle. It was super tasty. Usually, I use Guinness because it's what I drink, but today there were a few bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale sitting on the counter, so that's what I used. I liked it better. The bread had this lovely sweetness to it. So yummy. 

Beer Bread

3 cups of flour
3 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1tsp salt
12 oz beer

1. Mix the dry stuff together.
2. Pour the beer in. 
3. Watch it foam (this usually makes me chuckle. I'm easily amused.)
4. Mix together.
5. Scoop into a 9x5 greased loaf pan.
6. Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour. 

You can add cheese or herbs to it if you like, but it's perfectly yummy without anything added. I recommend using a darker beer like a Guinness or Newcastle because they have a depth of flavor that an IPA or light colored beer just can't stand up to. 


Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment